Free Hands-On Gardening Class Saturday, 4/6/19 at 10 am
Analyze Your Own Soil & Create Living Soil
Soil Analysis 101 – Learn how to analyze your own soil. All you need is a Mason Jar, deionized water, and a sample of your soil. Fill a clean mason jar ~1/3 full with your soil sample, fill to the top with deionized water, put the lid on and shake it vigorously. Let it sit for 24-48 hours, then bring it into class this Saturday.
Living Soil Creation – Bring your tools and gloves. We will create living soil. Living soil is vital for growing healthy, nutrients dense foods.
Colorado April Garden Calendar
April is the time to clean up your garden, do any weeding, amend your soils prior to planting, fertilize your lawns and start your seedlings. We have all the seeds you need, onions and potatoes are coming in next week. We also carry everything you need to amend your soil and fertilize your lawn.
– Early in the month, plant broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and other cool-season seedlings.
– Direct sow peas, radishes, lettuce, salad greens, spinach and onions.
– Plant asparagus and rhubarb.
– Plant hardy herbs, such as dill, parsley or chives.
– Plant chard, collards, kohlrabi, kale, beets, carrots, turnips, shallots, onion sets and potatoes.
– Start seeds indoors of cucumber, squash, and melons.
– Fertilize your lawns with a nitrogen rich fertilizer.
By the end of April:
– Start herb seeds indoors of basil, cilantro, fennel and other warm-season herbs.
– Pop in a second sowing of lettuce, spinach and peas.
– Start seeds indoors of melon around the middle of the month.
Adapted from: http://extras.denverpost.com/graphicsdept/gardencolorado/calendar/gardencoloradocalendar.html
Written by Betty Cahill
Pro-Rich All Season Turf Food
– Pro-Rich Professional Formula Turf Food is made in Colorado and is designed for use in the Western United States.
– Pro-Rich Professional Formula Turf Food is unique in its offering with its organic base.
– Pro-Rich Professional Formula Turf Food is organic based with DPW (Dehydrated Poultry Waste).
Benefits of using Pro-Rich Professional Formula Turf Food:
– Pro-Rich Professional Formula Turf Food contains chelated iron which is most readily available to plants.
– Improved soil structure
– Increases root growth
– Long lasting green
– Aids in reducing thatch
– Improves disease resistance
– Helps reduce weeds in your lawn
– Assists in balancing pH
– Reduces watering requirements
Mountain West Soil Pep
Mountain West Bark Products fresh soil pep is an all natural product coming straight from nature. Soil pep is a 3/8 minus screened bark material (fresh bark fines). Soil pep is commonly used as an amendment to give added organic nutrients to soil and is used as a main ingredient in container mixes, greenhouse mixes, potting soils, box gardens and any other general soil preparation. Soil pep can also be used as bark mulch or a top dressing for any landscaping needs as well as land reclamation projects.
– BARK SPECIES: Fir & Pine bark
– PRODUCT SIZE: 0 – 3/8″
– CHARACTERISTICS: 3/8 minus fresh screened bark (soil pep, bark fines)
Black Gold® Soil Conditioner
Formula : aged/composted bark, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, compost, bat guano, earthworm castings and a proprietary blend of mycorrhizae .
Black Gold® Soil Conditioner offers big garden benefits.
– Increased organic matter
– Better retention of water and nutrients
– Better aeration
– Increased microbial activity
– The addition of beneficial mycorrhizae
– Rich, natural fertilizers such as earthworm castings and bat guano
Even better, bags are packaged in eco-friendly compressed bags that allows you to get 3 cubic feet of product out of one space-saving package.
Black Gold Earthworm Castings Blend
Formula: Earthworm Castings, Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Organic Wetting Agent
– 75% EarthWorm Castings, 25% peat moss
– This enriching soil amendment is great for use as a top dressing or soil conditioner
– Provides a rich natural fertilizer
– Naturally aerates the soil to help retain high moisture levels
– OMR Listed
Back to Nature Cotton Burr Compost
Back to Nature Cotton Burr Compost is truly nature’s perfect soil conditioner.
When properly composted, cotton burrs are:
– an excellent food source for the beneficial soil organisms that help to make nutrients available to plants,
– aerate the soil, and help to keep harmful organisms and diseases in check.
– excellent moisture-retention characteristics
– breaks up tight clay soils
– our acidified product contain sulfur, the longest lasting elemental acidifier.