- September is the time to harvest and preserve.
- It also the time to seed your fall crops Direct-seed fall-season crops including lettuce, spinach, radishes, Swiss chard, kale and arugula.
- Amend your soil before seeding fall crops. We like Earth Essentials products
- Your lawn needs a good dose of fertilizer this time of year. We use Pro-Rich All Season Turf Food. It’s natural and organic based. Will not harm pets or people.
- It’s also a great time to take on any weeds. If we are lucky enough to get drizzle, or even real rain, this is the best time to go after weeds. This 36″ long handled weeder is one our favorite products.
- Do not pull bind weed (Convolvulus arvensis). Pulling causes the plant to produce more growth hormones and any fragmented parts of the roots become new plants. Instead cut it and use a natural herbicide where it was growing. We use Avenger Weed Killer. It is OMRI listed.
- Your tomatoes may have used up their reserves of Calcium and Magnesium, time to add them to your plants to prevent bloom end rot. Liquid is best at this time of year. Next spring make sure to add adequate bone meal to provide slow release of Calcium and Phosphorous. Pinch any blooms so all the energy of your plant goes into the current fruit, not new growth.
- We have multiple choices of pest control, all natural and/or organic, including: DE (Diatomaceous Earth), Insecticidal Soaps, Neem Oil, Fungicides, and Miticides.
- Your squash, cucumbers or cannabis may have powdery mildew. Remove any affected leaves and use one of our natural fungicides.
- Diatomaceous Earth – Food-grade diatomaceous earth does not contain toxins or chemicals. It is an effective pesticide against a wide variety of garden pests including aphids, mites, thrips, ants and squash bugs, slugs, etc. Diatomaceous earth is made from the remains of diatoms, which are tiny organisms that lived in rivers, streams, lakes and oceans. Diatom skeletons are made up of silicon dioxide, a combination of silica and oxygen.
- Use Insecticidal Soaps to deal with soft body insects.
- Continue to use Semaspore Bait by Planet Natural. Semaspore contains Nosema locustae, a naturally occurring grasshopper control. After eating Semaspore, grasshoppers become sick, eat less and begin to die. The disease spore spreads to healthy grasshoppers through cannibalism. OMRI Listed for use in organic production. In 2-4 weeks, 50% of the grasshopper population will die, and most survivors will be infected to continue spreading the disease. Infected survivors eat 75% less than healthy grasshoppers and lay fewer eggs. Will NOT harm people, pets, or the environment.
- Many of us have had our irrigation ditches turned off. To preserve water and protects trees and gardens, add mulch. We carry bulk local mulch and Soil Pep.
- Late summer and fall are great months to prep your soils for next years growing season. Our favorite soil amendment is Black Gold Soil Conditioner. It is full of organic material and teaming with essential micro-fungi and bacteria.
- Harvest tree fruits when they pull without difficulty from the tree. Dropping fruit is a sign the fruit is ready… We have long-handled fruit pickers in stock to help you harvest that hard to reach fruit.